We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Line Rider Confession: The Kid On The Sled

4 posters

Go down

Line Rider Confession: The Kid On The Sled Empty Line Rider Confession: The Kid On The Sled

Post by Conundrumer Sun May 08, 2016 2:32 am

https://iridethelines.forumotion.com/t10856p250-line-rider-confession-thread#185813
Conundrumer wrote:i feel like makign line rider tracks is nto a good use of my time

I'm an artist. I have feelings and ideas I want to convey. I'm at the point where my artistic vision is refined enough to not require strict constraints, i.e. I'm able to stay on course given a powerful tool. Constraints are fun, but they are constraining.

Line Rider is a highly constrained animation tool used for creating a cinematic dance animation. The only elements you have are lines and Bosh, a kid on a sled. The constraint of being forced to use only lines to define the environment and the movements of the character is beautiful. The constraint of having to work with the character of a kid on a sled is frustrating.

Imagine trying to make a beautiful orchestral composition, except you can only use Mario sound effects.

This is how I feel about Line Rider.

Mario sound effects are absolutely whimsical.
Bosh is a kid on a sled. He is also whimsical.

I'm able to hear sounds without the learned symbolic meaning (funny cartoon sounds), so I may be able to create such a composition. But I would have a hard time getting over how difficult it might be for others to get over the whimsical qualities of the sound. If I were to create such a composition, I imagine the immediate reaction would be "this is impressive but also weird and funny". I wouldn't expect people to respond "this is beautiful".

Us track makers are able to see Bosh for what he really is: an abstraction over a dancer, a puppet, a traveler. Some of us are able to dive deeper into more serious tracks because we've all grown desensitized to The Kid On The Sled. But, for the newcomers, the first thing they will see is The Kid On The Sled.

Despite my experimental and unconventional approaches to Line Rider, I've always been playing it safe. I've never made myself vulnerable and put part of me into a track. My tracks tend to be silly. I've embraced the constraint of The Kid On The Sled and took it as far as possible with Ragdoll. I know how to make highly entertaining tracks.

But I'm not satisfied with making plainly entertaining tracks. I'm an artist. I have feelings and ideas I want to convey. I'm sick and tired of this generation's post-modern ironic disingenuous inauthentic self-defensive approach towards self-expression. I have so much respect for those who choose to be vulnerable, even if their work is nonstellar.

destructive vs constructive
irony vs authenticity
postmodern vs romantic
clever vs vulnerable
indifference vs love

We have a lot of the former. I feel we could use more of the latter.

I feel like making Line Rider tracks is not a good use of my time, because I have a hard time getting over how difficult it is for newcomers to get over The Kid On The Sled, because I have so many other mediums to work in. Mediums where my intent is significantly easier to convey, where the meaning is so much easier to comprehend, where the emotions are immediately felt. Mediums where I don't have to worry about The Kid On The Sled getting in my way.

the solution:
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Line Rider Confession: The Kid On The Sled Empty Re: Line Rider Confession: The Kid On The Sled

Post by rich Sun May 08, 2016 3:02 am

Thank you for his post. I too feel a lack of expression in line rider dude to he exact same reason. I'm glad that this is being brought up, even if it was already in sight. I'm a huge art guy, and I love the amount of artists in this community. I know for a fact that my level of respect may or may not be high on these forums because of my lack of communication, or self alienation(?). But I would like to talk to this seriously. I also would like to spend some more time on this top. Conundrummer I appreciate you. I'm going to be back tomorrow or the next day(Monday) with a more thought out reply. I'd like this topic to be taken seriously because of the amount of talent in this community is astounding.
Edit: I'm just going to edit my reply. I need to think this out more. Need more time.
rich
rich

Back to top Go down

Line Rider Confession: The Kid On The Sled Empty Re: Line Rider Confession: The Kid On The Sled

Post by rabid squirrel Sun May 08, 2016 8:20 am

Conundrumer wrote:I'm sick and tired of this generation's post-modern ironic disingenuous inauthentic self-defensive approach towards self-expression.
thank you for summarizing this so eloquently.
Conundrumer wrote:destructive vs constructive
irony vs authenticity
postmodern vs romantic
clever vs vulnerable
indifference vs love

We have a lot of the former. I feel we could use more of the latter.
Conundrumer wrote: [5/8/16, 1:09:56 AM] David Lu: suspension of disbelief
[5/8/16, 1:10:11 AM] David Lu: some movies have absurd premises but stil manage to take us on an emotional journey
[5/8/16, 1:12:06 AM] David Lu: at the top of my head: start off being very self-conscious of the constraints of the medium, the whimsical qualities of the character we’re stuck with, the assumed environment.

then, change directions. defy expectations. use the initial vocabulary and turn it on its head. build a narrative.

i’m literally just thinking of this on the spot, accessible tracks with emotional narrative
This is EXACTLY what I am trying to do with many of my track releases. (Colorblind, Line, Daisies, Broken, another project in the works. Even Driftwood to an extent.)
It's also why I've been having such a hard time lately. This stuff is not easy to make and it's even harder when it gets ignored or shat on.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Mon May 09, 2016 5:00 pm

Your post is pretty spot on and the way you look at this game makes it that much more logical why it was Ragdoll that went viral! This is the reason it's impossible to make Line Rider available for a broad audience. Not saying we can't expand our reach, though.

The only reason for me to still play Line Rider is because I'm better at Line Rider than anything else. This allows me to execute more sophisticated and complex ideas than through any other medium. Therefore, I think playing Line Rider trains my ability to conceptualize, a skill that transcends all art forms or even workfields. In the long run, Line Rider will help me in my music career, help Rabid with programming and help Anton with becoming a physicist (I have know idea if that's what you want to be but I picture you as one for some reason). I'd love to hear other peoples' thoughts about this theory!
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rich Tue May 17, 2016 9:57 pm

I think line rider can be taken seriously, as art. The kid on a sled has nothing do do with a concept that people care about, but at this point I'm searching for a great concept. The track would have to be great. Not just, "this is how I feel," but, "this reflects society," and should be viewed as a window into what is happening in a concept. I've read many academic journals on this, but I haven't come up with a stable concept to report as a thesis for a track. So I, in reality, have nothing to present you guys with.
This thing is, is nobody will see a kid on the sled, if the aspect behind the sled and track is great enough to conjure, not just an emotional feeling, a feeling of, "Wow I didn't know that," or a call to action about our world, "yeah we should do something about that."
The concept has to be great and I've never seen a line rider with a great concept. I've seen great, but not conceptually, "Wow I didn't know that about our society/world and that impacted me in such a way that I will try to pursue a way to change that."  
I know that this may come off as a way that may sound douche, but, people, know that this is for the best intentions if you really would like to change the view of line rider.

then at that point, don't put it on the internet. Make 20 more tracks, and present them as art made in a flash game in an art gal.

Art that is big right now:
coming to age in contemporary society will always be big.
terraforming our planet
ai
space exploration.
Pursues for clean energy
and problems with contemporary society. (ie, the highlighting of race problems[which maybe causing more race problems.], homelessness highs, minimum wage, politics, or the education[argued may be wash if to many people pursue, but more people should critically thing anyway. so I think education is good even if people don't have jobs.])
I also find that our generation likes the thought of sharing everything.
rich
rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum