We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rush Hour - Shiny

+9
Rafael
rabid squirrel
FlagCapper
Lukking
cvang
Cocopops
ScrungleBlumpkus
OTDE
shiny
13 posters

Go down

Rush Hour - Shiny Empty Rush Hour - Shiny

Post by shiny Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:21 am

I finally did a thing:

Rush Hour - Shiny

Link for Countries other than US and Canada

Track File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2h63xa8qv464ae/Record%20Regularly.trk?dl=0

Feedback and constructive criticism appreciated!

Last edited by shiny on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
shiny
shiny

Back to top Go down

Rush Hour - Shiny Empty Re: Rush Hour - Shiny

Post by OTDE Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:37 am

What an enjoyable debut! You killed it, dude.

I often find myself looking at a lot of quirks that are technical for the sake of being technical as being very antiseptic, more of a showcase than an experience. And that's not a bad thing, but let me just say that it is SO refreshing to look at a quirk that has this upbeat vibe. It doesn't feel aggressive or competitive—it moves quickly and deftly when it wants to, but isn't afraid to occasionally hold a trick out, like valence 3 does, but it also does a lot of exploring of rotation while moving in a single direction.

I really like that you went into this looking to incite a particular emotion (I was told this one directly, lest ye userbase doubts). And the fact that you were able to convey that joy even a little bit is, in my view, a step in the right direction for quirk.

I think, when you make new tracks (and I hope you do, yes indeedy), I'd like to see more stuff centered around concepts and ideas, and then you can explore how to make illuminate that through line rider. That's just my pretentious postmodern side speaking, though Wink

This track is valuable to the community. People would do well to learn from your trackmaking process.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:43 am

What is different in the vibe, being upbeat, from this, as opposed to other quirks?
I see what's going on here
I like the track
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cocopops Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:48 am

Had to download the video with a YouTube donwloader as I am nor american nor canadian, and the mediafire link does not work either.

But wow it was worth it ! Loved your style, loved the flow... This almost no air time except for syncing as amazing.

Keep it up !

Also pure editing @OTDE Thumbs Up
Cocopops
Cocopops

French

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:55 am

Dapianokid wrote:What is different in the vibe, being upbeat, from this, as opposed to other quirks?

So music plays a huge part in this—usually with fast quirk, it's DNB that's playing. And that's not bad (at the very least, it fits the intensity of the movement), but what shiny has done here, through his music selection, is that he's presented the piece as centered around joy and love. Ocean Blue touches on this a little bit, which is perhaps why I find myself coming back to watch it every so often. Happiness is just something that's rarely explored in bare tracks, and it's good to see someone who's new working at such a close level with emotions in a track.

I like it when a track makes me feel emotional, yaknow? And usually "impressive for impressiveness' sake" doesn't really do it for me. But I don't feel like this track wants to impress me. I don't know why that is, exactly, but that's what I'm getting from it.

I'm gonna sleep. Stay lovely, yo Smile good vibes and all that
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by cvang Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:22 am

amazing.

cvang

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:51 am

This reminds me of valence but i liked this one better than valence.
interesting contact juggling and decent synch. music was chosen well but the track overall felt a bit monotonous.
Lukking
Lukking

Community Pick: SYTYKC
4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by FlagCapper Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:46 am

Very nicely done Smile. The only other quirk that comes to mind that looks this clean and technical is Valence 3. I'm a big fan of the tight inversed hand loops like at 0:39; really stands out.

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:12 am

This was fun. I guess that's all I really have to say.

Curious how I am an inspiration (as I have never made anything remotely like this track)
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:31 pm

Blocked in my country Sad
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:32 pm

Joke's over guys, I am shiny, this is valence 4. :|

Of course I'm kidding, but what started out as an emulation became a style and feel all its own. Sure it may use similar flings as valence, but I like it much more to be honest. May just be because of over-watching valence.

Expertly crafted track, glad to partially inspire this and also be of special thanks. Phenomenal first release, possibly the best of all time.
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Orthuss Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:07 pm

Oh man oh man this was an absolute banger of a first release. This was an incredibly fun watch. Props!
Orthuss
Orthuss

Walruss

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:22 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:Curious how I am an inspiration (as I have never made anything remotely like this track)

Nah, you're in the "special thanks" section, which is more for people shiny wanted to give a shoutout to. :P
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:56 pm

Ahh okay
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by shiny Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:17 pm

Lukking wrote:This reminds me of valence but i liked this one better than valence.
interesting contact juggling and decent synch. music was chosen well but the track overall felt a bit monotonous.

There are some parts that kinda look like contact juggling, but every line is blue and affects bosh's motion. The trick at 1:00 is a shoulder chain with a tail gravity roll. I am glad that you liked the music and the attempt at syncing, I had a lot of trouble picking music and didn't settle on a song until 40 seconds of the track had already been made. I wholeheartedly agree that the track can feel monotonous, I didn't really understand the concept of pacing a track when I began this one.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It feels good to finally have a track out  Very Happy

Last edited by shiny on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
shiny
shiny

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:59 am

I feel like I've been reluctant to accept you into the community because of a few things:
Jealousy at your learning curve, and the fact that you're on the good sides of the people here. This track has made me aware that I work under a false perception of a stigma on players who can do advanced quirk; I assumed that the better you are, the more perceived animosity between the player and the rest of the community. I think that's because of the way those with great technique have abused their reputation and the patterns that formed in the past of being good and not being credited for being artistic.

I've reconsidered. Watching the track in the editor also gave me some fresh perspective; You've actually invented some clever methods of stabilization and rotation. Except that you need to work on consistency with flings, cheat less on one liners (We're watching Wink ), and flow, this is by far one of my favorite explorations of the fling quirk genre.

We should hang out on skype sometime!!

I wish I could quantify exactly why I enjoy this track, like rabid often helps me do. This track has a lot of things to point out as being very outstanding for a first release.
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by Helios Pavonine Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:05 am

Absolutely blown away. I'd go as far to say I think this is almost as good as Valence 3. Man, you impressed me. It's crazy how much speed you can build up with blue quirk. And it's so fun! And some of those transitions are so cool! And the grolls!!! Aaaaahhh

Damn, I can't do half of this stuff xD Definitely the best debut I've seen. Honored to be an inspiration Smile
Helios Pavonine
Helios Pavonine

2nd place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:23 am

After watching 4 times, i fell in love with the song. thank you 8D
Lukking
Lukking

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:49 am

Can you upload it to vimeo? I'm buzzing to see this now!

Btw HP how can you watch it?
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shiny Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:58 am

Rafael wrote:Can you upload it to vimeo? I'm buzzing to see this now!

Btw HP how can you watch it?

It's already uploaded! Just click the link that says "Link for countries other than US and Canada" and it will send you to the track on vimeo. (The link didn't work when I first uploaded but it's fixed now)
shiny
shiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:58 am

Holy hell dude! You've been practicing a lot behind the scenes :P Technical insanity aside I really liked the energetic flow and the use of small loops and such. One thing made me cringe though and that was the sync (when he gets back to flings). These moments have to be timed perfectly otherwise they lose all of their power!

Interested to see what you'll come up with next! I've seen a good flow and a clean execution but what I miss is a layer beneath!
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:40 pm

quick review!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qJKRkUK8V8

rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:00 am

I can't believe I didn't say anything about this track when it came out. Everything about it was perfect together. The song was super catchy and I thought it fit the track wonderfully. The syncs are just lovely. This track has a lot of rewatch value for me and I'm not sure quite why, but I love it. Please keep making tracks.
Apple
Apple

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down