We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[JealousCloud] Night Time Thoughts

+5
ScrungleBlumpkus
anton
OTDE
rabid squirrel
JealousCloud
9 posters

Go down

[JealousCloud] Night Time Thoughts Empty [JealousCloud] Night Time Thoughts

Post by JealousCloud Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:12 pm

Spoiler:
JealousCloud
JealousCloud

see you, space cowboy...

Back to top Go down

[JealousCloud] Night Time Thoughts Empty Re: [JealousCloud] Night Time Thoughts

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:25 pm

That started out deep and interesting and then took a really, really dark turn.

I'm not sure how to respond to this as a work of art or even as a conventional track. My main response is that if this is an accurate representation of your thoughts you should seek out help, whether that means therapy, medication, or just finding friends or family who you can talk to and who will be supportive and encouraging.

Life doesn't have inherent meaning - but that doesn't mean it is pointless, it just means we create the meaning ourselves. If you know this to be true but can't stop these thoughts from happening anyway, that's mental illness - which means your brain isn't working correctly. That doesn't mean that you are defective or worthless, just sick (like having the flu except in your brain), and you need to find a way to get well again.

That aside, I did really enjoy the track. The flatsled opening was really effective at making the quirk pop. Not a big fan of the sudden zooming, and it was hard for me to understand how the words had anything to do with the track itself. And the ending was extremely abrupt. I get the feeling that was the point but it felt out of place.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JealousCloud Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:48 pm

I have a therapist, psychologist, supportive family, girlfriend, and friends who care. Really I wanted just to make a statement from an artistic standpoint. I planned the track with only the last part in mind. I wanted it to pop. I wanted it to mean something. I wanted to show this is how raw the thought can be in the middle of the night.
JealousCloud
JealousCloud

see you, space cowboy...

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:30 pm

Interesting. While I wish the track and the message were integrated better, this track is noteworthy for the balls it takes to make something like this from an artistic standpoint. I'd personally like to see more of this kind of experimentation, but with a lean towards integrating track and message a little better.

Keep it up. I like where your tracks are going.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by anton Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:43 pm

I LOVED the stacks - no rotation airtime contrasts. Other than that there were some damn impressive flings and tricks integrated well with flatsled. The grayish background changes the atmosphere so cohesively, I swear,I forgot that I was watching  a Line Rider track for a moment. Title on point as well.

The fact that people will look at this and actually worry about the creator, says a whole lot more about this track than what I can possibly say. That statement makes me sound deep and smart.
anton
anton

cool

Community Pick: SYTYKC

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:06 pm

This track is genius. I also love the way you played with zoom because nobody has really taken the time to play around with that one much, and it made the sync really effective.

all of that aside there is nothing about this track that I could say that hasn't already been said without me going and reflecting further.
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Dude major improvement in flings and such Hehe
I really enjoyed this track, and night mode.
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:34 pm

zoom syncs are crazy cool
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm finding a hard time figuring out how to word what I want to say about this track. It's hard for me to watch, not really because of what's being said, which I understand the feeling myself, but because it feels so matter of fact about it. That's really not the fault of the creator though, and more of my own.

Interesting choice for using quirk to represent bad thoughts, and good job on the track.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by JealousCloud Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Opal Rider wrote:I'm finding a hard time figuring out how to word what I want to say about this track. It's hard for me to watch, not really because of what's being said, which I understand the feeling myself, but because it feels so matter of fact about it. That's really not the fault of the creator though, and more of my own.

Interesting choice for using quirk to represent bad thoughts, and good job on the track.
What's wrong with being matter of fact about it? That was actually the intention of the track. Like I said, it's about the pervasive nature of the thoughts and the chaos of the mind/life/blah.

I may have tried too hard on this track.
JealousCloud
JealousCloud

see you, space cowboy...

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:14 pm

Maybe blunt is a better word?

Making art that isn't fun to watch doesn't make it bad, but surely you didn't intend this track to be an enjoyable experience? I think it's well executed after some time away but it's certainly not pleasant.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by ijustfoundlinerider Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:29 pm

I found this to be humorous for me, the really 2 demotivating messages then he just dies, wow.
ijustfoundlinerider
ijustfoundlinerider

Back to top Go down

Post by JealousCloud Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:31 pm

ijustfoundlinerider wrote:I found this to be humorous for me, the really 2 demotivating messages then he just dies, wow.
I'll be honest.

Part of me thought that was hilarious too. It's why I started the track. It just changed in tone over time.
JealousCloud
JealousCloud

see you, space cowboy...

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:17 pm

Huh. I wonder why I read it as profoundly disturbing while others found it funny.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by JealousCloud Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:34 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:Huh. I wonder why I read it as profoundly disturbing while others found it funny.
It's probably for the same reason you interpreted it as me needing help. My guess is you've been around mental illness in family and/or friends but never seriously experienced it yourself so it's scarier to you than it is to me. For me it's just a fact of life that just is and presumably always will be. I could be super super off though, so I'm sorry if my guess offends you! I don't mean it to marginalize any experiences of yours.

Honestly I don't think of the track itself as funny, and I feel it might even mean a degree of immaturity if the track is interpreted in general as funny. But the concept of the ending is a bit funny outside of context.
JealousCloud
JealousCloud

see you, space cowboy...

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:42 pm

I think you're pretty close to the mark. I've experienced depression before (extreme lack of willpower / feeling like I've never been happy) but never suicidal thoughts. It's always been scary to me just the fact that some people have those thoughts. So yup after I got over my gut reaction of screw-you-i've-totally-experienced-depression I'd say you hit the nail on the head.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:40 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEEy5pVPrZc

Quick Review. Fascinating how much more positive our opinions of it are a few months later.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by JealousCloud Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:00 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEEy5pVPrZc

Quick Review. Fascinating how much more positive our opinions of it are a few months later.
I love when you guys give video reviews. I think it's one of the most positive things you and OTDE do for the track making community. I'm really glad you guys came back to do a review. OTDE was spot on that I was learning fling quirk that track, and I also intentionally made the hill that couldn't be climbed. It's actually green. It's purpose was to show that we don't always go "forward" to move on, and also it was something I feel like flat sledders do to keep you mildly interested in slow parts like that.
You guys skimmed over the part where I very intentionally went back to the beginning with a vertical cannon. To me it was like "Look at where I was."

Anyways thank you so much
JealousCloud
JealousCloud

see you, space cowboy...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum