We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Check out my Patreon! (...and let's talk about money)

+3
OTDE
Lukking
rabid squirrel
7 posters

Go down

Check out my Patreon! (...and let's talk about money) Empty Check out my Patreon! (...and let's talk about money)

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:57 pm

This has been a topic I've been wanting to broach on this site for a while now... Monetization.

We are all volunteer artists. Most of us are still in school, and some of us will become tired of Line Rider before we ever are out in the real world trying to support ourselves. But I find myself in the position of being one of the first people on the site to graduate from school and start trying to support myself, while still wanting to create Line Rider tracks. I think most of us that are still around will soon be in the same boat I am, so this is something we should start talking about.

My Patreon
I've decided to start a Patreon for the Line Rider work I create and facilitate. I've tried to make it modest and I've tried to keep it reasonable.

https://www.patreon.com/rabidsquirrel

If you like the tracks I create and want to support me, this is the best way you can do that.

I want to clear up a few potential misunderstandings.

• I am not trying to demand anything of anyone - I'm just opening up this as a voluntary opportunity.
  • I will not be giving any potential patrons special treatment or attention as an administrator on the forums here.
  • I am not trying to say I am better or more deserving of money than other creators on this site. In fact, I highly encourage you to create your own Patreon accounts. Or Kickstarter, IndieGogo, GoFundMe, PayPal, etc. (If the site gets swallowed by people asking for donations, we will deal with those issues as they arise)
Donations to WRTL
If you want to give to a specific cause that is NOT the tracks I personally create or facilitate, I've also set up a PayPal Donate button on the WRTL Twitch page. I'm not yet sure if I should put it on the forums themselves, and if so, how I should put it here or where exactly I should put it, but for now you can go there to donate.

You can donate any amount you wish and tell me what you would like me to do with the money in the text box there. Some ideas:

• Donate to a particular trackmaker that you love
  • Donate to a developer who has made or is making a version of Line Rider you love
  • Donate to a staff member who you think is doing a great job, or the staff team in general
  • Donate to someone who is providing a service such as recording/editing/graphics/etc
  • Put your money toward a specific cause, like hiring someone to make a new website for us, or anything else you can think of
I will be as transparent as possible with these donations and how they are getting where they are supposed to go.

Please discuss and let me know your thoughts on this whole dealio.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Check out my Patreon! (...and let's talk about money) Empty Re: Check out my Patreon! (...and let's talk about money)

Post by Lukking Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:21 pm

I like the idea...pretty much every game featured on twitch has a huge money flow by donations...if we get lr more known or recognized this could work!
Lukking
Lukking

Community Pick: SYTYKC
4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Check out my Patreon! (...and let's talk about money) Empty Re: Check out my Patreon! (...and let's talk about money)

Post by OTDE Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:18 am

I'm in support of this and will help with anything related to this!
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:31 am

thanks for becoming a patron OTDE Very Happy
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lankher Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Just as I thought I couldn't lose any more respect for you, you do something like this.. I really should stop coming to this site
Lankher
Lankher

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Lankher wrote:Just as I thought I couldn't lose any more respect for you, you do something like this.. I really should stop coming to this site

I should probably say why I donated.

Rabid does lots of things in Line Rider that I like. If I have spare cash, and I can help him make those things faster, and if I can become a more active part of those things, then it's totally worth it for me. I don't see why that's such a big deal, especially since there's no pressure on anyone.

I do agree with the second part of your statement, though-- you don't seem to enjoy it here at all, though there are some aspects of discussion that you do seem to relish. Hopefully you find some corner of the internet that makes you happier. I wish you all the best.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Had a ton of fun this week creating video previews for my two patrons (Sheldon & OTDE)

This has done wonders for my motivation. I'm super pumped to work on all the projects now. Wooooooooooooo!
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:35 am

rabid squirrel wrote:But I find myself in the position of being one of the first people on the site to graduate from school and start trying to support myself, while still wanting to create Line Rider tracks. I think most of us that are still around will soon be in the same boat I am, so this is something we should start talking about.

I've been having to support myself for 4 years now while also going to school so suck it.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

http://www.therevtastic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:23 am

TheRevTastic wrote:I've been having to support myself for 4 years now while also going to school so suck it.
I mean, no offense, but last I checked you had a really, really fast computer, a really, really fast internet connection, and a bunch of the latest games. I don't know what your exact financial situation is, but I'm a freelancing theater artist so I have a pretty low income (and a computer from 2010 that I don't know when I will next be able to replace, and an internet connection that currently makes it impossible for me to stream because it's so crappy)

Again, I'm not asking anything of you. You are totally free to not donate and I will not treat you with any less respect. (Though I probably will judge you a little if you tell me to "suck it")
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:23 am

rabid squirrel wrote:
TheRevTastic wrote:I've been having to support myself for 4 years now while also going to school so suck it.
I mean, no offense, but last I checked you had a really, really fast computer, a really, really fast internet connection, and a bunch of the latest games. I don't know what your exact financial situation is, but I'm a freelancing theater artist so I have a pretty low income (and a computer from 2010 that I don't know when I will next be able to replace, and an internet connection that currently makes it impossible for me to stream because it's so crappy)

Again, I'm not asking anything of you. You are totally free to not donate and I will not treat you with any less respect. (Though I probably will judge you a little if you tell me to "suck it")

If I had the money to donate I actually would. I work 50+ hours a week and go to school for another 9-12 hours a week. All of my money goes to rent and other bills and groceries. I usually have to put back money for games months and months in advanced which I rarely play cause I like to sleep when I'm not at work or school lol. Also you can judge all you want that's what I'm here for the community judgement taker.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:37 pm

But have you seen the homeless guy with the golden voice?
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:39 pm

efrazable wrote:But have you seen the homeless guy with the golden voice?

I want that guys voice
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Z_N-Freak Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:50 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:Had a ton of fun this week creating video previews for my two patrons (Sheldon & OTDE)

This has done wonders for my motivation. I'm super pumped to work on all the projects now. Wooooooooooooo!

Whatever people think, I think it's a great initiative, especially if it will motivate you more. Who knows, if you take something seriously in this way it could turn into something seriously amazing!

Best of luck with this! Cheers Smile
Z_N-Freak
Z_N-Freak

Off-sled Action

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrZNF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down