purchasing iridethelines.com

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

would purchasing iridethelines be worth it?

13% 13% 
[ 2 ]
47% 47% 
[ 7 ]
27% 27% 
[ 4 ]
13% 13% 
[ 2 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 15

purchasing iridethelines.com

Post by SethComposerGuy on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:32 am

Recently I decided to check out http://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=iridethelines&e=com and noticed how in the past 30 days nearly 300 people have visited that site, and I got to thinking that in the next couple months I very well could be in a good enough financial situation to be able to afford to purchase that site, as I think that owning that site especially due to the fact the viral lr videos we do have advertise it, would give us a the activity boost we desperately need and I really don't want to see this wonderful community completely die out. Also, I kind of miss the arcade section the old irtl had.

However, if I do that, I personally am not interested in doing much more than making sure that the site stays up and financially supported since I have very little experience in website coding, and would like someone knowledgeable inn that area to step up and help. I'd also hope that Rabid Squirrel will be able to continue to run it. One final thing is that if I do decide to purchase irtl that some of you guys would be willing to pitch in, or donate now and then, even if it's only a couple bucks, since buying it isn't exactly cheap.

New rabid Squirrel challenge: archive all lr videos available before their creators deletes them. Shocked
SethComposerGuy
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: purchasing iridethelines.com

Post by Lukking on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:11 pm

Much love if we'd buy irtl! i'd be willing to help out financially a bit.

@Cereal wrote:I have a strange feeling like you'll make tracks again sometime (since that's what happens to 95% of people who quit like this), but I could be wrong.

You were right.
Lukking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:54 pm

If you buy the domain feel free to redirect it here, like are already doing with weridethelines.com

My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy guy round here

3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:04 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:If you buy the domain feel free to redirect it here, like are already doing with weridethelines.com
What the actual fuck rabid?
if we have the opportunity to customize and use all the features that come with the domain, it would be a total waste if we would redirect it here. Or do we only own the domain, not the Vbulletin forum?

@Cereal wrote:I have a strange feeling like you'll make tracks again sometime (since that's what happens to 95% of people who quit like this), but I could be wrong.

You were right.
Lukking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:29 pm

@Lukking wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:If you buy the domain feel free to redirect it here, like are already doing with weridethelines.com
if we have the opportunity to customize and use all the features that come with the domain, it would be a total waste if we would redirect it here. Or do we only own the domain, not the Vbulletin forum?

That there in bold, exactly that.

Back to top Go down

Post by SethComposerGuy on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:52 pm

@Lukking wrote:
From what I can tell, we would just get the domain name but not what it used to be. If we want to work to restore it to something like the old iridethelines, we would likely have to rebuild it from scratch. In other words, probably the best thing we could do if I decide to purchase it si, as Rabid said, redirect to this site, at least until we can get irtl set up and ready to make public. Also, I checked the pricing on vbulletin and the software costs about $200 or $250 depending on what version we would want. Either way, I think it would be way better for that site to continue to be associated with the linerider community as opposed to it falling in to the wrong hands.

New rabid Squirrel challenge: archive all lr videos available before their creators deletes them. Shocked
SethComposerGuy
Line Rider Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:10 pm

I think we already had this poll but since this is kind of possible now, how many of you actually want a replica of the old site?
I certainly do.

You were right.
Lukking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:47 pm

I'd like it, but only if it used the same version of vBulletin as it did back in the day. The current versions since 4.x.x have all sucked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:17 pm

If you want someone to figure out the old forum software, I have the knowledge to be able to do it, but I wouldn't do it, because I don't like old forum software.

Also, I have no interest in recreating the old site in any way.

Line Rider Legend

Ask me for a ConunSmooth™ recording!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf_Spirit on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Wouldn't want to re-create it, it's more like we're chasing nostalgia than creating something good there:P
Anyway, SCG, that's amazing! I'd definitely contribute if we can do this!

H4M W4Z H3R3
Sig by Lankher 'cos he is...Banned [ ] Not Banned [x]
I believe in magic.

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:47 pm

I've been over this a million times, but once more for the people in the back.

The old site is gone. Not only is it impossible to recreate because it would be impossible to get that version of vB (which is, I hear, much better than the current versions which are terrible), but the skin and graphics were custom made by TD, there were approximately 758 hax that TD installed that 1) were largely only available on that version of vB and 2) I don't even know their names because TD didn't tell any of us what he was doing, AND the database is completely lost so we would be starting entirely from scratch.

SCG is looking into buying the DOMAIN. All we could do with that is direct it towards here, just like we are already doing with weridethelines.com. Unless you want to help us build a new site, an offer i continue to be open to.

Don't get mad at me over this, I did nothing but make this new site >.>

Get mad at me for this:
There is literally no reason why having the old site back would actually benefit our community.

Last edited by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:47 pm

@Conundrumer wrote:If you want someone to figure out the old forum software, I have the knowledge to be able to do it, but I wouldn't do it, because I don't like old forum software.

Exactly this, XenForo or IPB would do just fine. I just miss having a unique style on the site that not every other forum can just copy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:49 pm

@TheRevTastic wrote:
@Conundrumer wrote:If you want someone to figure out the old forum software, I have the knowledge to be able to do it, but I wouldn't do it, because I don't like old forum software.

Exactly this, XenForo or IPB would do just fine. I just miss having a unique style on the site that not every other forum can just copy.
agreed

You were right.
Lukking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenWubbleyou on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:55 pm

I think it would be cool to do a general redirect to the current site, as building a new forum is difficult and time consuming work in and of itself. I seriously see a lot of disdain for the current leadership and that is not cool. While I would volunteer my time to do design stuff, I don't have much. Most of us don't. An alternate forum system would be cool. But it is like I said before, time consuming, and possibly expensive.

All I see in the community is a riff between people who don't want to change and people who only want change, but are lacking any vision to perform the changes well.

I don't make a lot but I can contribute financially if need be.

I like the idea of purchasing though. Let's keep discussing this!

REGRET NOT
BenWubbleyou

Vancity

View user profile http://vimeo.com/vwcreativeco

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:57 pm

@BenWubbleyou wrote:All I see in the community is a riff between people who don't want to change and people who only want change, but are lacking any vision to perform the changes well.
welcome to WRTL

rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by BenWubbleyou on Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:10 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:I've been over this a million times, but once more for the people in the back.

The old site is gone. Not only is it impossible to recreate because it would be impossible to get that version of vB (which is, I hear, much better than the current versions which are terrible), but the skin and graphics were custom made by TD, there were approximately 758 hax that TD installed that 1) were largely only available on that version of vB and 2) I don't even know their names because TD didn't tell any of us what he was doing, AND the database is completely lost so we would be starting entirely from scratch.

SCG is looking into buying the DOMAIN. All we could do with that is direct it towards here, just like we are already doing with weridethelines.com. Unless you want to help us build a new site, an offer i continue to be open to.

Don't get mad at me over this, I did nothing but make this new site >.>

Get mad at me for this:
There is literally no reason why having the old site back would actually benefit our community.

I think Rabid makes the biggest point here, the old site is gone, there's no way for us to get it back. Old features like the arcade would have to probably be built from the ground up.

Here's 2 things we should consider.

1. If we were to have the 'old' forum system, would it actually benefit the community for people to join? I don't think having the old system would help considering we would have to build from scratch. Not only this, but how would we migrate the past years using forummotion? Would that go into history or would we have to manually backlog important threads?

2. Is going to the old system beneficial to new users or would having a new forum system be better? Who would implement this? Set up old accounts, build the libraries of information we have here now, creating all the graphics and various mini projects would be quite time consuming.

Personally, while I agree with Rabid, I think setting up a redirect to here is probably the best overall option for the site's community as a whole. Rather than building onto the old site and migrating.

I am not a web expert, please don't read this as if I am. I am just trying to ask questions that need to be answered before the community does anything.

REGRET NOT
BenWubbleyou

Vancity

View user profile http://vimeo.com/vwcreativeco

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer on Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:12 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:
@BenWubbleyou wrote:All I see in the community is a riff between people who don't want to change and people who only want change, but are lacking any vision to perform the changes well.
welcome to WRTL
welcome to the internet

re. forum software, I've been contemplating on using Discourse because it's free and open-source and actually MODERN in terms of both software and design. But I wouldn't change anything right now because we haven't pointed out tangible issues with what we have right now.

Line Rider Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking on Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:17 pm

@Conundrumer wrote:we haven't pointed out tangible issues with what we have right now.
I dont know if we have already done this but this is a good thing to start with

You were right.
Lukking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable on Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:24 pm

and then there's me
riff
https://youtu.be/7ob_Iwbd8h4?t=49s

@Thread I think the whole community would be really humbled if this were to actually happen, but holy carp that's thousands of dollars. I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable with this actually happening, especially if I didn't chip in.

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:14 pm

@efrazable wrote:holy carp that's thousands of dollars.
Yeah

After a bit of thought, I think it's a bad idea to buy the domain for several thousand dollars. I'd much rather we spend that much money in other ways. (In particular I'd like to turn conun's volunteer work for a new site and javascript-based game into not-quite-volunteer work)

I've been toying with the idea of contacting InXile and asking how I could get the linerider.com domain. Or get them to put a link to this site somewhere instead of just a "sorry nope" page.

rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Anton on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:36 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:Get mad at me for this:
Hmmpfpf... HNNNGNGNGNG
Hurrrreremrmmr...  Angry  

wait.... Shocked

shit. Suspicious

I agree with this..

2500 dollars for what? The price is actually closer to 2700$
A domain - that will redirect you to irtl. Some nostaliga - which will be obsolete as it won't be the old site anyway. Don't any of you dare to pull the "but lr is dying, pls we need dis" stunt.

For 2600$ You could get:
8320GB of USB 2.0 Flash Drive memory
2600 milkshakes
1140 mugs from ikea (poor quality, will break very easily)
150 Meters of Nylon Clothesline Rope, Color May Vary
108 shares in Volkswagen
100 acres of property on the moon (404685 m^2), 20% more if on a monday you use the discount code: ULTIMATE)
22 years of subscription to Brazzers
14 liters paint, which can cover like 60 m^2 surface
6 selfie sticks with bluetooth (good quality, high end selfie sticks. The classy type)
2-3 months rent

Instead of buying the domain you could get one of these and still have ~100$ left. Which you could spend on one month worth of domain if you must... Or you know... Another 20234 m^2 of Moon property...

But by all means: spend your money how you like

cool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Also adverts once we get an "official" official version.

Still, exciting talk, I'm glad everyone was able to be cordial.

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:46 pm

I still have both of my IPB and Xenforo licenses that could be used. I still don't think discourse or anything like it would be a good fit to use for this community like it isn't a good fit for most forum communities (main reason being the amount of videos/gifs/flash things that could be in one topic and discourse being a continuous scrolling page which could lead to issues for viewers).

Also if I remember correctly TD didn't make the style himself. He actually paid for it to be custom made by a guy I still know in the forum scene. Not sure if he's still active or not though (only reason I said "IIRC" is because I once asked TD how the style was made when I first got into the area of creating my own vB/IPB themes and wanted pointers).

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:37 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:After a bit of thought, I think it's a bad idea to buy the domain for several thousand dollars. I'd much rather we spend that much money in other ways. (In particular I'd like to turn conun's volunteer work for a new site and javascript-based game into not-quite-volunteer work)

I've been toying with the idea of contacting InXile and asking how I could get the linerider.com domain. Or get them to put a link to this site somewhere instead of just a "sorry nope" page.

I haven't gotten much work done recently because I burned out a little bit + hackathons. If you want to initiate communication with InXile, we can have a group chat with mhenr.

@TheRevTastic wrote:I still don't think discourse or anything like it would be a good fit to use for this community like it isn't a good fit for most forum communities (main reason being the amount of videos/gifs/flash things that could be in one topic and discourse being a continuous scrolling page which could lead to issues for viewers).
embedding media:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-to-embed-youtube-and-other-videos/5623/11
https://meta.discourse.org/t/til-discourse-can-embed-imgur-albums-and-galleries/27406
I don't understand how continuous scroll would be an issue.
Whatever the case, if you find bugs or other issues, Discourse is open-source and I can try to fix it myself.

Line Rider Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:01 pm

Well my other main reason that I forgot to say was that the whole point of Stack Overflows design is the same - to get one question and one answer at the top of the screen, then all lesser answers out of the way.

That isn't a community in my eyes, more of a support/answer site.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top