Let's collab with musicians

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let's collab with musicians

Post by rabid squirrel on Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:35 pm

So this is an idea I came up with after talking to a couple people I know today about the deadness of line rider.

Make a track that's not synced to anything in particular, and then ask a musician or DJ you know to make music for it. (or you could even ask a sound designer)

This could be a cool way for us to expand our community / spread awareness about line rider / get artsy people interested in what we're doing. Or it could just be a fun thing to try out.

I think the biggest potential issue here, at least for me, would be making a track that would convey something that could be translated into music/sound, without actually syncing it to a piece of music. I suppose I could sync it and then just not tell them what I synced it to but I feel like that would just set it up to be a disappointment. Also, trying to figure out something I could make in like, a few days, as opposed to like, months.

Thoughts?

EDIT: okay so there was a huge miscommunication about this OP. Here is what I was trying to say (quote from a few posts into page 2):
Hey guys, wouldn't it be cool if we started making short/fun/weird tracks (read: don't spend longer than like a week on them) and sending them to musicians, for the musicians to set them to music? This could be a way to draw musicians into the community, get more people sharing line rider tracks, and would also just be a fun thing to try out.

Last edited by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's collab with musicians

Post by Chuggers on Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:50 pm

lets give them jam without the music, it has some pretty clear rhythm to it

/mostly jk

most of my current tracks are made to a beat instead of a song, its not that hard to figure out and gives some grounds to make something to, so thats something you could try out

i feel like the final track would have to be pretty like noticeably decent for anyone to take it seriously, especially if they do some snooping around current tracks before they make any song to what you send them
Chuggers

mass-producing masterpieces

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:13 am

@Chuggers wrote:i feel like the final track would have to be pretty like noticeably decent for anyone to take it seriously
I feel like this is pretty elitist / pretentious

rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:18 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:
@Chuggers wrote:i feel like the final track would have to be pretty like noticeably decent for anyone to take it seriously

Then you took it the complete wrong way, really shows where your mind is at.  Why wouldn't somebody look into something farther than the single track you give him?  What if you make some pencil shit and he goes, "wow, what is this linerider game?" then finds like limitations or whatever crazy shit people are into nowadays and blows you off completely?  I don't know what kind of music producer you're looking for, but anyone worth their weight in music would put an ounce of effort towards looking into this before they spend their time making something for it.

Just saying, you should put more thought into this before making "some weird crappy shit".
Chuggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:24 am

If you hate the idea, don't participate. But please don't shoot it down because it won't live up to some sort of "standard" (that is entirely constructed, and a pretty elitist mentality)
@rabid squirrel wrote:This could be a cool way for us to expand our community / spread awareness about line rider / get artsy people interested in what we're doing. Or it could just be a fun thing to try out.

rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:27 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:If you hate the idea, don't participate. But please don't just like, shoot it down because it won't live up to some sort of standard that is entirely constructed.
@rabid squirrel wrote:This could be a cool way for us to expand our community / spread awareness about line rider / get artsy people interested in what we're doing. Or it could just be a fun thing to try out.
So far, you've only taken single sentences out of my posts and ignored the context in which they were in, please read my whole post before responding.

I'm not shooting the idea down, its just that for this to work you can't half ass it and do whatever, some thought has to be put into it.
Chuggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:34 am

I've made something in like a couple hours in a weird style and I'm gonna ask my composer/musician friend to see if he can whip some music up for it in a couple hours to see what happens.

I don't think it needs to be a go-big-or-go-home thing. Any way to get more people involved and aware about line rider other than just "watch this youtube video" is a good thing.

I think your preconceived notions about what is "decent" in a line rider track is completely wrong. If I show someone who has never played line rider limitations, they are mostly just confused or bored, they're never really impressed. To anyone else we're just a strange little group of people who get really excited about strange things that they can't understand.

EDIT: Why are we so obsessed with the go-big-or-go-home mentality anyway? Are we really making stuff that is impressive to anyone outside our community of a couple dozen people?

rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:43 am

I think music does a lot to a track. If you watch tracks that were synced to music without the music, they aren't nearly as fun to watch. I'd be curious to see what a musician can do with it. I'm gonna try and get my brothers in on this. They like making music, and they both have had short Line Rider phases because of me. I'll let you guys know what they say.
Apple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:44 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:I've made something in like a couple hours in a weird style and I'm gonna ask my composer/musician friend to see if he can whip some music up for it in a couple hours to see what happens.

I don't think it needs to be a go-big-or-go-home thing. Any way to get more people involved and aware about line rider other than just "watch this youtube video" is a good thing.

I think your preconceived notions about what is "decent" in a line rider track is completely wrong. If I show someone who has never played line rider limitations, they are mostly just confused or bored, they're never really impressed. To anyone else we're just a strange little group of people who get really excited about strange things that they can't understand.

EDIT: Why are we so obsessed with the go-big-or-go-home mentality anyway? Are we really making stuff that is impressive to anyone outside our community of a couple dozen people?

ok, now you're blowing what Ive said way out of preportion, so I'll try and explain in words everyone can understand fully. Maybe limitations was too harsh an example, let's  say they saw Archeology or maybe some calm otde manual track.  These things are far different than "some weird shit". I'm not obsessing over going over the top, I'm saying why would a musician take us seriously as a collaborative partner when he can see we are just doing whatever the fuck.  This isn't pewees playhouse, if we were to contact a professional or whatever you have in mind after your musician friend, we would need to put in a somewhat equal amount into our half of the project as he would.  Or maybe he can do whatever and just make some shitty beat with stock midis, that would be acceptable then, right?

I feel like you are actively trying to make me look like some hyper-villain with intents to ruin everything, and I'd like that to stop. I want nothing more than to be polite and give my constructive criticism, but situations like this make that hard to do so.

Last edited by Chuggers on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Chuggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:52 am

Okay, from what I've read so far, I think this whole thread has boiled down to two things. One, we're jumping the gun as usual. Two, Chuggers read your Skype post, and took the phrase "weird shit" to mean "I'm not going to try on this, I just want something now." This was a large assumption on his part, and I'm not denying that, but I can see where he's coming from with his point of view. Now this might take more than a bit of trust, but I think Rabid wouldn't be the kind of person to rush something out that he thought was genuinely bad. I hope this might clear the air a little bit.

Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:57 am

sigh

rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:59 am

@Opal Rider wrote:Okay, from what I've read so far, I think this whole thread has boiled down to two things. One, we're jumping the gun as usual. Two, Chuggers read your Skype post, and took the phrase "weird shit" to mean "I'm not going to try on this, I just want something now." This was a large assumption on his part, and I'm not denying that, but I can see where he's coming from with his point of view. Now this might take more than a bit of trust, but I think Rabid wouldn't be the kind of person to rush something out that he thought was genuinely bad. I hope this might clear the air a little bit.
*"some weird crappy shit"
I'm sorry for "assuming", but this can really only be taken one way.

I'm sorry for being "literally hitler" on this website for the umpteenth time.
Chuggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:10 am

Admittedly, it was some weird phrasing. But keep in mind this is also the same guy who would spend hours planning for thirty minutes of work on a normal day. I couldn't imagine anything he releases be below what he considers good for releasing. And even if he does, that's just one out of many possible trackmaker DJ combinations. If you make your own in a way you find better suited, it only increases the positive results.

Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:13 am

I have no idea how to really make a track that someone else will make music to. So I figure that the best way to do this, rather than saying "well I hope someone else does it" is to make something in a short amount of time just as an experiment. I'm not asking a musician to spent more time on the music than I spent on the track so I don't understand why this is a problem and somehow personally offending Chuggers.

rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:21 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:I have no idea how to really make a track that someone else will make music to. So I figure that the best way to do this, rather than saying "well I hope someone else does it" is to make something in a short amount of time just as an experiment. I'm not asking a musician to spent more time on the music than I spent on the track so I don't understand why this is a problem and somehow personally offending Chuggers.

There you go again, trying to paint me like I'm insane or some shit, all I wanted was for this to be taken a little more seriously.  It has been 100% on you that it has been blown this far from where it started.

I guess I'll be the bigger man and end this argument, as there was really not much of an argument in the first place.
Chuggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer on Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:05 am

@Chuggers wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:

Then you took it the complete wrong way, really shows where your mind is at.  Why wouldn't somebody look into something farther than the single track you give him?  What if you make some pencil shit and he goes, "wow, what is this linerider game?" then finds like limitations or whatever crazy shit people are into nowadays and blows you off completely?  I don't know what kind of music producer you're looking for, but anyone worth their weight in music would put an ounce of effort towards looking into this before they spend their time making something for it.

Just saying, you should put more thought into this before making "some weird crappy shit".
music producer here, i'd be down for making beats for shitty pencil tracks
the beats would be equally shitty, but nonetheless, at least it'd be funny

tbh if i didn't know about line rider i wouldn't take any of your tracks seriously (this is what i mean by how we're living under a rock)

Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:16 am

id love to collab with a musician!

@Cereal wrote:I have a strange feeling like you'll make tracks again sometime (since that's what happens to 95% of people who quit like this), but I could be wrong.

You were right.
Lukking

4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers on Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:28 am

@Conundrumer wrote:
tbh if i didn't know about line rider i wouldn't take any of your tracks seriously (this is what i mean by how we're living under a rock)
I hope rabid gets as mad at this as when I said it, or else there's some huge user bias on this website. Go back and read my first post again, really prove you people are capable of analyzing a sentence or two, and show me where this all went wrong.

I've been actively trying to normalize my tracks for a wider audience, what have you done lately?
Chuggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael on Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:45 am

I'm with Chuggers on this one. Don't see what people get so worked up about. If our goal is to popularize Line Rider by making a song to a track, what needs to happen is for the video to go viral. Sloppy artsy videos do not go viral. Everything needs to be well-thought out and executed with precision.

Now, if we want to play around with musicians making music for our tracks and see how that turns out, the standards are much lower and we can do whatever we want with the idea. However, that's not the vision rabid implied in the OP.

Take a breath, count to 10, re-read this discussion, shake hands and move on please

Ontopic: I'd be in for this when I have the time and the skills to make good music Smile
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:30 am

I would also be willing to participate
Chuggers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:57 am

When I first heard about this project, I did immediately think of Raf when Rabid said music producer, but i think he mostly wants to branch out to artists that aren't already in the line rider community. Both Conun and Raf, I'm sure you have at least a few friends in the music production scene, think any of them would be up for making music for this?

Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:03 am

What if we as a community offered to make a music video for someone with a somewhat large following?

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:05 am

@efrazable wrote:What if we as a community offered to make a music video for someone with a somewhat large following?
GENIUS Eep

Edit: Eep Eep Eep Eep

@Cereal wrote:I have a strange feeling like you'll make tracks again sometime (since that's what happens to 95% of people who quit like this), but I could be wrong.

You were right.
Lukking

4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:43 am

@efrazable wrote:What if we as a community offered to make a music video for someone with a somewhat large following?

If they agreed to it, by all means. But keep in mind if it's his music video, he has full control over what we create, and it will most likely be scenery. Do we have enough good sceners in the community to publish an upwards 3 minute track in a decent amount of time?

Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:06 pm

I just don't think the mentality that it has to be epic and viral and gets thousands of views is the right one.

I'll repeat myself. Let's get people involved in our community by asking them to make music for tracks.

Conun is 100% right about outsiders not really being able to take Line Rider seriously, especially because of how seriously we take ourselves. (And he basically is saying the total opposite of what Chuggers was saying so...) I think it's actually inversely proportional - The more epic a quirk is by our standards (and the more we are like look at this it's the best thing ever) the more likely people are outside our community to just be confused and/or blow us off.

Y'all are looking for get-rich-quick solutions. Getting tons of (cheap) views will not draw people in to the community. Making something that is great by our standards, and proclaiming how great it is to the world, will not draw people in. Inviting people to collaborate - THAT will. Why is this such a foreign concept?

And why does everyone seem to think that I implied that we should make a huge epic track when I literally said the exact opposite, and continue to say so?

rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top