Add tail fakies to my builds?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Add the tail fakie option (please explain opinion)

24% 24% 
[ 5 ]
38% 38% 
[ 8 ]
38% 38% 
[ 8 ]
 
Total Votes : 21

Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by [senpai] kevans on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:14 pm

So I recently just found out why tail fakies aren't possible, and the way to add them back would be a simple removal of a few lines of code, and tada, we have a tail fakie. What is a tail fakie? Well, a "nose" fakie is where the string contact point and nose contact point swap places, and causes that counter-clockwise rotation because the physics are trying to re-adjust the sled back to normal.

A tail fakie is where this occurs with the tail point and 2nd peg, resulting in a clockwise rotation.

The reason why this isn't possible in the flash builds is due to a few lines of code that causes crashing in relation to the distance between those two points and other stuff that I can't adequately explain.

Removing these lines of code will allow this tail fakie to be possible, and normal tracks will still be possible since we've been making them within the limits of this crash check. However, I don't know what this will bring to the table in terms of endurance and "crash-ability". Bosh will still retain his normal crash checks, but the ones involving anything with the tail will be gone.

In a nutshell:

-Tail fakie possible
-opens up a new set of tricks
-less likely to crash, but not increased "endurance", AKA Won't be Hax physics.
-Tracks will still work just fine

Please answer the poll and discuss. I'll put out a beta build in say 6.7 to test this out.

EDIT: Please explain your opinion, if everyone just votes no and doesn't explain to me why, I'm not going to understand why it's something that shouldn't happen.


Last edited by [senpai] kevans on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by Chuggers on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:18 pm

doesn't seem like a bad idea at all, but put them on toggle just in case
avatar
Chuggers
Member

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:19 pm

Yes, only if you're 100% sure this won't break ANY tracks made with previous builds, and will tell us that a track was made prior to the expulsion of the tail fakie crash check code.
I'm all for this. Especially since all other version of the game allow for this, and this game is notable for the ability to visually examine bosh and know immediately what his fakie status is in. This would add to the complexity and we've been needing something new.

_________________
Don't delete your tracks!™  Thumbs Up
avatar
ScrungleBlumpkus
Member

Interior Crocodile Alligator


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by rabid squirrel on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:44 pm

I will never advocate for anything that changes the beta 2 physics for what is considered the official build of Line Rider.

The only way I would be okay with this is if we were making a totally new build of line rider and talked about the possibility of removing gravity wells entirely.

I don't like the idea of making something possible that has never been possible before and labeling it as a minor update. This would be a game changer.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:50 pm

the reason it wouldn't affect previous tracks is because the following:
1. entering into tail fakie currently results in bosh crashing
2. if you crashed, then you would redo the line
3. thus, if the track involves him surviving, then the means of entering tail fakie were never performed...

Now, wouldn't this possibly ruin some hax tracks?

but on a final note, I would enjoy playing around with it, but I don't think I would use it seriously for tracks

_________________
"There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking."
Youtube
avatar
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend


View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by Chuggers on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:00 pm

What if its one of the wells that kills bosh on the next frame but is made survivable my making lines on the next frame
avatar
Chuggers
Member

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by rabid squirrel on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:01 pm

Not that it wouldn't affect previous tracks - but it would affect what was possible when previous tracks were being created - this means that future tracks wouldn't be playing by the same rules.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Chuggers, me and kevans discussed your thought and the thing is, if we already made the lines affect him to stay out of it, it never gives the game a chance to check and allow tail fakie to survive/kill him.
Either way, the way it actually checks won't be affected. Just one of the checks no longer will exist.

_________________
Don't delete your tracks!™  Thumbs Up
avatar
ScrungleBlumpkus
Member

Interior Crocodile Alligator


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by Chuggers on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Dapianokid wrote:Chuggers
dont drag me into argument im not allowed
avatar
Chuggers
Member

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:47 pm

@Chuggers wrote:
Dapianokid wrote:Chuggers
dont drag me into argument im not allowed
I didn't you were already in

_________________
Don't delete your tracks!™  Thumbs Up
avatar
ScrungleBlumpkus
Member

Interior Crocodile Alligator


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:53 pm

I disagree with creating a forward disconnect. sure, previous tracks will be playable on this version, but wouldn't new tracks be unplayable with old versions?

However, because I would like to play around with it, the only viable option in this poll I think is it being implemented with a toggle. It can't be no, because that's limiting to our knowledge of the game, and we can't stop it from happening really. It can't be yes in my opinion because it would mean a diverging of the game between those with and those without this version are playing two separate games.

_________________
"There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking."
Youtube
avatar
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend


View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by rabid squirrel on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:48 pm

@SPL4SHZ0N3 wrote:It can't be no, because that's limiting to our knowledge of the game, and we can't stop it from happening really
wondering what you mean by this

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:55 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:
@SPL4SHZ0N3 wrote:It can't be no, because that's limiting to our knowledge of the game, and we can't stop it from happening really
wondering what you mean by this

_________________
Don't delete your tracks!™  Thumbs Up
avatar
ScrungleBlumpkus
Member

Interior Crocodile Alligator


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:01 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:
@SPL4SHZ0N3 wrote:It can't be no, because that's limiting to our knowledge of the game, and we can't stop it from happening really
wondering what you mean by this

Can't stop a version where fakie tails are possible from being developed, so might as well make it able to be toggled. Anyone has the power to change the code, so we might as well do it in a way that's not damaging to the community. Also, I say "it can't be no because limiting to knowledge" because personally I think we should be exploring the game through changes like these to have a greater knowledge of the mechanics of it all. But, I see that that's my opinion, and I can also see how this might be of less importance to some... I also see how it might not outweigh the "negative" of breaking the mechanics of the game.

_________________
"There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking."
Youtube
avatar
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend


View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:28 pm

I once modified the map terrain generation code of a game and got a mixed response from the community. Some people were excited about the new possibilities in the RTS environment, such as having so many trees that one could not see anybody sneak up on them or having such little resources it becomes a game of luck more than a game of skill...
The community was overall extremely positive. The only people who were upset were the admin because he was shot back down to an average player in these environments and the best player there was active at the time because of the same reason.
I like exploring things.

_________________
Don't delete your tracks!™  Thumbs Up
avatar
ScrungleBlumpkus
Member

Interior Crocodile Alligator


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by rabid squirrel on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:11 am

Dapianokid wrote:The only people who were upset were the admin because he was shot back down to an average player in these environments and the best player there was active at the time because of the same reason.
fair point lol

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by Fauxfyre on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:51 am

Absolutely not. I think the reasoning kind of falls under why we don't have endurance variable adjusting, or new line types. The change is just too dramatic from what LR is and has been. Sure we can have new ways of MAKING tracks, but if we now have completely different RULES when making tracks, then it really isn't the same LR as we know it. Changes like this have always been met with extreme resistance, and am fairly confused why we have less than the majority voting no.

Fauxfyre
Member

Featured Video: Blackheart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus on Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:53 pm

I thought pretty hard about this.
Tail fakies should, in my opinion, be a novelty not officially support by the community as a valid road down which trackmaking should traverse.
Just like gao showed us what hella killa stuff he could make with hax, I'd love to experiment with what hilarities can be made with tail fakies, but not actually seriously focus on making tracks with it.
What would be the response by the community if they were included in conun's project? I'm pretty sure most people would still want them not to be included because accurate graphical and physical porting is the expectation and desire of the community, including myself.

_________________
Don't delete your tracks!™  Thumbs Up
avatar
ScrungleBlumpkus
Member

Interior Crocodile Alligator


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by gaoyubao on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:17 pm

I voted toggle because it's a bit hax-y. A little bit, because it adds extra tricks for bosh to do and I'm center right on changing LR physics.

What I feel would change the most relative to tail fakies is manipulation during kramuals... maybe.

_________________
avatar
gaoyubao
Line Rider Legend

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by rabid squirrel on Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:32 pm

Dapianokid wrote:Just like gao showed us what hella killa stuff he could make with hax, I'd love to experiment with what hilarities can be made with tail fakies, but not actually seriously focus on making tracks with it.
I think I would agree with this, this way we can see if it catches on. If so, then the next "big version" of LR can include them.

I'm pretty sure that when fsk was making this he planned to have nose fakies and no tail fakies intentionally, otherwise why would the code be there. Could but wrong but the information I have that is what it seems to be.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by efrazable on Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:57 pm


_________________
@LineMagiX wrote:hump
avatar
efrazable
Member

Durr I'm efraz herp derp


View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by Rafael on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:00 pm

If this were to be made, I'd consider it just as much a hax version as Quirk.swf. It'd be fun to play around with it though.
avatar
Rafael
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:14 pm

The question is,
How refreshing, how much newness would be added to the community would there be if suddenly we had a new completely unexplored manual and set of rules. I think as a whole this could be a very interesting spark.
Screeny, please?

_________________
Don't delete your tracks!™  Thumbs Up
avatar
ScrungleBlumpkus
Member

Interior Crocodile Alligator


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by rabid squirrel on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:16 pm

Dapianokid wrote:How refreshing, how much newness would be added to the community would there be if suddenly we had a new completely unexplored manual and set of rules. I think as a whole this could be a very interesting spark.
I doubt it. I've seen stuff like this before come and go. Silverlight, Unbound, Beta 3, Pop Lines... I'm not saying I'll never be proven wrong but I don't see how this is any different.

dap, quirk.swf was the first hax version (bosh won't die from gwells)

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by Sheldon on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:00 pm

hell naw nigga
official version=official physics
avatar
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Add tail fakies to my builds?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum