We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PM the LCC/WCC got on YouTube

+14
Sheldon
Conundrumer
Purtle
ScrungleBlumpkus
.Iso
Fauxfyre
Opal Rider
Chuggers
hypothet
[senpai] kevans
efrazable
gaoyubao
Getthim
rabid squirrel
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PM the LCC/WCC got on YouTube Empty PM the LCC/WCC got on YouTube

Post by rabid squirrel Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:34 am

ChannelFrederator has sent you a message

Hello Linerider Community Collaboration,

I work here at Frederator Studios. We produce cartoons for television, film, and the Internet, including The Fairly OddParents, Adventure Time, and Bravest Warriors. On YouTube, we produce and program Cartoon Hangover and Channel Frederator.

Frederator's most recent endeavor is called the Channel Frederator Network, which has quickly become the #1 network for animation (and related) channels on YouTube. I'd love to discuss having you and your channel join animators such as FilmCow and Simon's Cat in our network and community of more than 500 creators and growing.

We provide a set of tools to optimize YouTube for your content and we work with you to help capture a larger audience. Basically, if you join, you only give us the right to run ads with your content and split the ad revenue with you. You still own your content, channel, and IP, and continue using your channel in the same way.

Let me know if this sounds interesting, and I'd be happy to follow up with more specifics and continue the conversation. You can also access our website here to view some of our current members and to find more detailed information about our network: http://channelfrederatornetwork.com/

Or you can easily reach me through my direct email address here: Tony@Frederator.com

All the best,
The Channel Frederator Network Team
Thoughts on this?
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

PM the LCC/WCC got on YouTube Empty Re: PM the LCC/WCC got on YouTube

Post by Getthim Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:39 am

MONEY! lol it would help in running the site.
just don't put them all over, down the side is fine
Getthim
Getthim

A bumble bee bumbling along.

Back to top Go down

Post by gaoyubao Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:57 am

Creates pressure for more content? idk
gaoyubao
gaoyubao
Line Rider Legend

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:13 am

Those channels are lucky if they release 3 shorts a month. We did the same in a week. I don't think it'll be an issue
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:48 am

If you don't mind, can I talk to these guys for a bit and talk as an advocate? I don't want to be the guy who will make the final decision for everyone, but I want to see all the details myself. This sort of... situation concerns me a bit (A whole fucking lot actually), and if played wrong could spell disaster for us all. I first want to check to see if the message is real or not, and then afterwards if proven true we can talk to these guys as a community, rather than using me primarily as voice.

EDIT: Another thing that really irks me is how this is an animation network, not a game network. I can understand that scenery can be argued to be a form of "animation", but what LR boils down to is that it's not an animation. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pass this opportunity myself, just don't want everyone here to jump that gun.

EDIT2: What would we use the ad revenue for?

Last edited by [senpai] kevans on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Post by hypothet Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:01 pm

Also there would be a question of music choice.
hypothet
hypothet

don't read this

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:32 pm

I don't know if I like the ideas of ads, also these big multi-channel networks aren't always the nicest things

Also, I would argue that what we make in the end is close to or is animation, I don't really know what to call it otherwise

edit: did some research on the network, they are pretty damn great, I don't see a problem with joining
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Unlike a lot of different web series, line rider can't be made instantaneously, as was brought up a little bit in gao's short post. So as long as they understand that there might be some wait time as these guys with no life draw some lines, there's not going to be much activity unless we figure out some filler content to do in the meantime. It's an interesting idea though, and the fact that we've been contacted on a business matter is sending happy tingly feelings through me.

Also, Kevans. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure if I'd want you to be our first contact with these guys. Maybe if you PM your concerns to Rabid he can bring it up with them when he has a chat.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:14 pm

My first instinct was no, and I was thinking along the lines with these:
gaoyubao wrote:Creates pressure for more content? idk
[senpai] kevans wrote:This sort of... situation concerns me a bit (A whole fucking lot actually), and if played wrong could spell disaster for us all.
Another thing that really irks me is how this is an animation network, not a game network. I can understand that scenery can be argued to be a form of "animation", but what LR boils down to is that it's not an animation
What would we use the ad revenue for?
HG42 wrote:Also there would be a question of music choice.
Chuggers wrote:I don't know if I like the ideas of ads, also these big multi-channel networks aren't always the nicest things
Opal Rider wrote:Unlike a lot of different web series, line rider can't be made instantaneously, as was brought up a little bit in gao's short post. So as long as they understand that there might be some wait time as these guys with no life draw some lines, there's not going to be much activity unless we figure out some filler content to do in the meantime.
Although I do appreciate the publicity, and the fact that if we get more visitors coming around, we could be able to make content faster, I'm a bit concerned of where the money is to go. I don't want there to be any argument over who gets what amount of cut, if we base it on who made the better parts in the collab, who started it, or who did the most parts, etc.
Also, I think the part where they think our tracks are considered animation is a bit of a misnomer on their part. I'm not sure they completely understand the concept of LR here, but I may be wrong.

HOWEVER NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT MORE
Something I would be okay with is donating any ad revenue made to charities, or perhaps it could go into supporting indie gaming studios, kickstarter's, something. Since LR has near $0 in production, I don't think it feels right for any of us to keep the money ourselves, especially when there are so many ways to split. I also really want this burst in activity that might come up, as long as nobody gets caught in a web of contracts setting this up. Perhaps once revenue starts coming in, we can upgrade the website, including buying back iridethelines.com if possible. Getting non-trial copies of video editors for some of us would be nice, for those that like to edit. Then whatever isn't directly tied to the website or production gets donated. Thoughts on this?

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:44 pm

I like the website upgrade idea. I was mostly thinking that revenue would be going to staff people, since really that's the only actual work that gets done around here. LR is a fun thing, not some sort of chore. However, I mean, if you're offering to pay for sony vegas or something, I'm not going to turn the offer down.  Wink Charities are also a nice thing to think about. Do you have any in mind at the moment, or are we going to have a bit of a research session later?
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by .Iso Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:20 pm

Wow, I really hope this is both real and works out well for our community
.Iso
.Iso

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:32 pm

I would trust Frederator. I looked them up. They exist. They're not lying. If this is authentically Frederator, then we might have a cool deal on our hands. Yes I read everything. revenue distribution is a minor concern though
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by Purtle Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:21 pm

I would say to ask him some questions about

"We provide a set of tools to optimize YouTube for your content and we work with you to help capture a larger audience. "

Ask for more in depth explanation of what this really means and what they actually provide, because to me this is just buzzwords and such to get people to join their group.

As far as revenue goes, I don't even think we would get much, so either for possibly buying the real IRTL domain or something of that nature, or donating to a charity (personally I'd suggest something gaming related like donating to the AGDQ or SGDQ marathon with a shoutout to the line rider community. Save up the revenue in between the times of these events to have a decent sized donation that may be ready outloud on stream which could provide publicity)
Purtle
Purtle

ppt [retired mod]

4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.hiddenheartpiece.org

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:44 pm

We could put revenue toward
-buying iridethelines.com
-getting rid of ads on the site
-featuring 'featured' videos on YouTube
-featuring our best WCC collabs on YouTube
-possibly move IRTL to a better forum host
-cash prize for TOC's
-paying LR developers as a sign of appreciation
-staff too
-life-size rabid sculpture
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:18 pm

efrazable wrote:

I second this.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:29 pm

[senpai] kevans wrote:
efrazable wrote:

I second this.
Part of me says yes, and the other part says I don't want to feel like I have to work harder  :P

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:50 pm

While there is potential for revenue, I don't think it's in the spirit of the community, nor is it what we are looking for. What do we even need right now?
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Kevans sent me a PM and told me I could post it publicly but not verbatim so I am going to summarize.

He knows people who get deals like this all the time, and has told me that he has heard horror stories about this kind of deal. His main concerns are 1) do they want us to do scheduled updates 2) Line Rider is similar to animation but their channel is pure animation and they might not realize that we aren't exactly animation 3) music copyright issues 4) what would we use the money for?

----------

Anyway. I have put some thought into this and I've decided I don't think this is worth it.

There's a reason we haven't monetized line rider videos on youtube elsewhere, and it's because of music copyright issues. YouTube won't let us if we have any music that isn't totally unclaimed by someone else, and most of our music is.

Even if that wasn't an issue, I doubt that we'd be able to get enough views to generate actual income, and I don't think the channel is going to give us a major advertising plug or anything. And even if they did, the kinds of people who watch Simon's Cat and Fairly Odd Parents don't sound like me to be the kinds of people who would be interested in watching tons of Line Rider videos. Especially quirks.

Even if people were, they probably would be more interested in some sort of best-of playlist than the WCC channel - the WCC is great fun, but we're not exactly churning out epic tracks.

Okay. Let's say the music isn't an issue. Let's say somehow people are actually interested in seeing our community's collabs. Let's say we actually get more views. Let's say we miraculously get enough to make money.

I have no idea what the best way to disperse it would be, and the politics and butthurt and whining that are sure to ensue on this site if money was involved just make my head hurt, and the work involved in determining how to use it just feels like a waste. Unless the money involved is like, enough to be an actual job and pay for anyone's time, it's just too much of a pain to bring it into the picture. Not to mention it would change the entire spirit of the community, as conun alluded to.

I only want to involve money if it is able to boost the amount and/or quality of the stuff we make in Line Rider, and I can't think of any model that would effectively do that. The reason I do all the work I do on this site is to keep people making awesome stuff in Line Rider and keep this site active, and I don't see any of this work as helping me do that. So I don't think I'm going to spend any time on this beyond replying to this thread.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:39 pm

Alright, if that's the case, then I shall re-iterate. May I be the representative for first contact? I'll be open as possible, explain to them that we are interested, but our content is may not be what they want, and that we aren't able to produce content in a very frequent manner. I'll send a PM with my full replies whenever I'm about to send one, and send one with whatever content they reply with.

This may be a good opportunity for us, and I don't want to pass this off just because of things that we can work around. While my concerns were summed up pretty well by Rabid, if they say we can keep doing whatever it is we're doing without any problems, why do those things matter?
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:25 pm

I thought I was pretty clear above why I disagreed with pretty much everything you just posted. Why do you think it's "a good opportunity for us"?

Also, no I don't want you to be a "representative". Feel free to advise me all you wish but I don't want to give you the lcc youtube password, and I don't want to reach out to them through any way other than a reply to that message on the youtube channel, and I don't want to copypasta something you give me. I'm pretty sure that is reasonable.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:27 pm

I wasn't asking for a password, there's clearly an email he provided and I was going to use that.

But you said no, so I'll stop.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Ah, hmm, yes I see. Sorry I didn't realize that was what you had in mind.

I'm a little nervous about giving someone who's not staff permission to make negotiations on behalf of the site so I think I still think I want to say no, but there's part of me that is saying "If I don't have to do the leg work, why not?" The question I asked wasn't supposed to be rhetorical - how do you think this is a good opportunity for us?

Anyone else have opinions on this?
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Well, I understand that, that's why I said I was going to copy and paste the messages before I send them, and when I receive them, and will not reply unless you've given the okay or provided your thoughts. I'll have my contacts standing by to help explain anything if necessary, and I have told them about this, and they said frederator is a good place to be with, and it's a good idea.

I believe this is a good opportunity for publicity, line rider isn't something you find unless you're deliberately looking for it now. If frederator is willing to add our videos to their playlist, that's free advertising. They aren't uploading our videos to their channel, and by the looks of it we don't have to add their name to them. It's basically them going "Hey, this video is cool, you guys should watch it.".
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:54 pm

I still wish it was possible to like, link people to, like, featured videos or something. If we wanted to advertise I dunno why we'd advertise the WCC channel. Annoying that they didn't make this offer back when it was the LCC channel and we made really top notch stuff.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:03 pm

We could submit featured tracks to the channel, as a way to 'immortalize' them or pay tribute. The process could involve re-recording the track with the tools they provide us, if they give us recording software, and make the video higher quality. With input from the person who made the video in the first place of course. The videos should include an intro of sorts, describing who made what track, name or something, and at the end a simple end card with a link leading to the channel and here. That way it's not 'just WCC and LCC' tracks.

I think the appropriate frequency we could upload these is once every two weeks or so, going through the list of tracks we already have, and if any new tracks get featured, they can be uploaded then.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next