Got me thinking

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Got me thinking

Post by RyderLR on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:42 am

Somehow I stumbled upon Cereal's "phunner" thread which really got me thinking.

Line Rider back in the day was so appealing to the mediocre player, because there was so much left to learn and everyone was somewhat on an even playing field, except for the select few gods, and now, Line Rider has been so modernized and "every things been done" that that same appeal isn't there for me, and I feel that this is the case with many others. Thinking about this just gets me so sad, and although I really do appreciate all the cool tracks everyone makes, nothing will really compare to watching everyone's new tracks back in the day.

Thank you for reading my run on sentences, and random ranting.

Intro
"Aids, they killed my slaves. I need to go buy new ones". - ACwazHere
RyderLR

WHAT RHYMES WITH SHMINTRO?

View user profile http://youtube.com/ryderofthelines

Back to top Go down

Re: Got me thinking

Post by gaoyubao on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02 am

It's kind of like any science/art, where back in the Ancient Greek or Renaissance Days, you could be a (relative) expert in philosophy, math, physics, geography, history, painting, sculpture, music, medicine etc. because there was only so much that was known back then. But nowadays, experts spend years studying to get through all the discoveries of the last centuries in order to catch up with all the knowledge. I think this is especially clear in medicine, where getting a PhD takes forever, or history, which keeps on expanding as time progresses and documentation of events improves. It makes these subjects much less accessible to someone who first gets introduced to them.
I don't think it's an "everything's been done" feeling, but more of a "everything accessible has been done."

$0.02

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:35 am

Well I'd agree that like medicine, it does take a while to catch up on what we've currently learned. However, the trend of discovery in medicine and Line Rider has developed in two very different ways, and while one is still evolving exponentially, the last time we learned something genuinely new was with the kramual way back when. Do I believe that there might be more that we haven't gotten around to? It's very possible, but for the life of me I can't think of what it is.

Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:16 pm

I don't think that everything's been done, or even that everything accessible has been done. Anyone can get really good at pretty much anything in Line Rider in a few dedicated, motivated months, if they can master the things that are harder to simply teach yourself like flow and different styles.

I think the reason it feels like we're not discovering anymore is that there's just not many people trying to discover things anymore. There's just not that many people anymore in general. If anything, shouldn't we take that as inspiration to discover more things ourselves?

My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gaoyubao on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Kramwood wrote:multilining started being exploited after the kramual I'm pretty sure. People haven;t really released much regarding multilines. I'd like to see an all g-well track with them. They do work that way btw Wink
Shotoku did try that out in a track released in a compilation of unfinished tracks, and I think he said it took a while but it looks pretty cool.

@rabid squirrel wrote:I think the reason it feels like we're not discovering anymore is that there's just not many people trying to discover things anymore. There's just not that many people anymore in general. If anything, shouldn't we take that as inspiration to discover more things ourselves?
I had this feeling that things like heavy stacking were... shunned (?) by older track makers, and that may be slowing down LR discoveries...? idk.

I'm caring too much about this thread anyways. I don't usually participate in these discussions.

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:48 pm

@gaoyubao wrote:
Kramwood wrote:multilining started being exploited after the kramual I'm pretty sure. People haven;t really released much regarding multilines. I'd like to see an all g-well track with them. They do work that way btw Wink
Shotoku did try that out in a track released in a compilation of unfinished tracks, and I think he said it took a while but it looks pretty cool.
I'm actually making a full track with some of those. They should be faster to make now thanks to Kevans' line duplicating update in 3.4.3. Don't expect it for awhile, but you can definitely expect it, because it will happen.

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top